This is the cake I made for the cake decorating class. I wanted something not so sweet, but not so unique that it could not be enjoyed by all. Sorry, I did not take an inside shot but it had 4 layers of the filling!
When making this, I would double the icing and the filling, it just wasnt enough!
But it was a nice cake – not too crumbly, not too sweet, but light and fluffy and very yum! I left it on the table at work and only had to take about an eighth home!
- Melted butter, to grease
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 430g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
- 85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- 160ml (2/3 cup) coconut milk
- Fresh coconut, shaved, to serve
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 x 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180??C. Brush 2 round 20cm (base measurement) cake pans with melted butter to grease. Line bases and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat together butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until combined. Stir in the combined flours and coconut. Stir in coconut milk. Spoon the mixture among the lined pans and smooth surfaces. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in centres comes out clean. Set aside for 30 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the syrup, combine passionfruit, sugar and lemon rind in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until syrup thickens. Set aside to cool.
- To make the frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, sour cream and icing sugar mixture in a bowl.
- Use a large serrated knife to remove the top of each cake. Use the knife to split each cake in half crossways. Place 1 layer of cake on a cake stand. Spread over one-sixth of the cream cheese mixture and spoon over one-third of the passionfruit syrup. Continue layering with the remaining cake layers, half the cream cheese mixture and the remaining syrup. Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture over the top and side of the cake. Arrange the coconut over the top and side of the cake and serve.