Last night was my first night cooking gluten and lactose free, and I must say it went pretty well. Everything flowed well for me making this dish, I got the timing right, I filleted the chicken like a pro and it looked pretty.
Taste wise, a bit more punch in the sauce would have been good – perhaps a herb like coriander or rosemary would have given it the heartier taste it needed, but even still, the boy and I mopped our plates. (Me mostly because gluten free is making me hungry)
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp crushed red chilli
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tsp salted baby capers, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 (about 250g each) chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- Steamed green round beans, to serve
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Spray with olive oil spray to grease. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cannellini beans and capers, and simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Season with pepper. Stir in half the parsley.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
- Divide the chicken among serving plates. Top with the cannellini bean mixture and remaining parsley. Serve with steamed green beans.