Finding gluten free recipes hasnt been as easy as I thought it would, I seem to have a kind of bakers block. But recently, it dawned on me that risotto is pretty much gluten free and lactose free if you leave out the parmesan and switch to margarine. I made this working womans risotto and despite my reserves about it being completely microwaved, it was seriously simple. And it tasted good too! The colours werent as vibrant as a normal risotto, but seeing as all I had to do was throw things into the bowl and stir when the microwave beeped, it sold me.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped (used spring onions)
- 220g (1 cup) arborio rice
- 200g small cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) chicken stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 850g green prawns, peeled, coarsely chopped (I used bacon)
- 30g butter (margarine)
- 2 tbs chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 cup corn
- Combine the oil and onion in a deep microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on High/800watts/100% for 4 minutes. (Instead of this step, I fried the spring onion and bacon in a pan until cooked.)
- Add the rice, mushroom, corn, stock and wine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook, covered, on High/800watts/100% for 10 minutes. Stir. Cook, covered, on High/800watts/100% for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the prawns (omitted), butter and half the parsley. Stir to combine. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley to serve.
Good Taste – November 2008, Page 22