I love my potatoes (theres a touch of Irish in me after all!) and when the naturopath took away my ability to eat lactose and gluten – he also took away my favourite side dish – cheesy potatoes! Boo!
So, last night I really didnt want mash with my chicken. I looked up potato side dishes and this one came up:
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2 Serves
- Ready in: 37 mins (10 mins Prep – 27 mins Cook)
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Boil water in a small saucepan then add the cubed potatoes and cook for about 7 minutes-till parboiled. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Place the potatoes in a baking dish.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a small jar and shake to combine, then pour the contents over the potatoes in the baking dish. Stir to mix the dressing well with the potatoes.
- Cook for 20 minutes or till done, stirring the potatoes a couple of times to prevent sticking. Add some of the cooking water if the liquid dries out and the potatoes still need more time.
Sorry for the somewhat fuzzy picture. You can see they LOOK like regular potatoes but they have a really tangy and lemony taste, and have a lot of flavour. The water you need to watch pretty closely, because it does absorb and dry up pretty quickly, but dont add too much in there.
Its no cheesy potato recipe, but it is definately an alternative to plain old potatoes!