I grew up on pecan pies – every Wednesday night at our Family Dinner, Pop would bring out the pecan pie, following the traditional lamb roast. Its something my cousins and I have always enjoyed and when Pop switched to blueberry crumbles a few years ago, we were devestated!
For his wake I knew I wanted to do my own tribute to Pop, but all the pecan pie recipes I came across just werent quite right. So I turned to the ever trustworthy cupcake. I knew it would be easier that way to ensure everyone got one and to get the taste that we all knew and love!
These were simple to make and while they dont make too many cupcakes (and they don’t rise!) they were dense, moist and so delicious!
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spray a miniature muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for approx. 18 minutes.
I topped them off with a brown sugar frosting that was SO rich and sweet, but was the perfect accompaiment to the pecan pie.
Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C milk
- 2 C sifted confectioners’ sugar
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Add the brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium low, and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually add sifted confectioners’ sugar.
- Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.
This was a fantastic recipe and I highly recommend giving the pecan pie cupcakes a go! Already I’ve had requests from my sister for a repeat performance of them!