Not such a creative week for me this week… I saw tangy and thought… uhhh…. tangy hey…. right… and then realised something I was already planning on making had chorizo and for me thats quite a spicy sausage, so I concluded, well theres my tangy right there.
Recipe: Spanish tortilla pie
Cookbook: Super Food Ideas – March 2009, Page 28 (technically not a cookbook… ah well)
This was surprisingly easy to just whip together. Just chop the ingredients up, fry it all until soft and put in a pie case, cover with egg and into the oven it goes. Except, I had this one little tiny patch of egg that wouldn’t set so unfortunately the crust got a little darker than I would have liked. That said, this was really nice. Potato and chorizo go together SO well and the fact that the egg is just cracked on top meant that it wasn’t overly quichy in its taste.
Serve with a side salad, because trust me, that chorizo and potato mix will have you craving some greens!
I do promise to make a little more effort for next week with Thai!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled quiche pastry, partially thawed
- 400g packet baby potatoes with butter and herbs (I just thin sliced 3 small potatos and that did the trick)
- 2 (120g each) chorizo sausages, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salad leaves, to serve //
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm (base) loose-based, fluted flan tin. Line with pastry. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Place tin on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights or rice and paper.
- Meanwhile, microwave potatoes following packet directions. Thickly slice.
- Reduce oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato and half the potato (cover remaining potato to keep warm). Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tomato starts to soften. Remove from heat.
- Spoon chorizo mixture into pastry case. Crack whole eggs over mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until just set. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with salad leaves and remaining potatoes.