Now, I will be the first to admit, these aren’t the prettiest cupcakes going around. But boy, were they tasty.
Since I first made raspberry curd I had been dreaming of its other applications and I thought a chocolate cupcake filled with raspberry curd and topped with raspberry icing. And wouldn’t you know it, I got a request to make some cupcakes for my sister in law’s hens night!
Look at that curd!!
There were a few issues though – I used a touch too much leftover curd (AKA – All of it!) in the icing, so it never thickened up into a nice pipeable icing, but damn, it packed a raspberry punch!
So yes… not overly pretty, but very tasty!
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
Two 1/2-pints ripe raspberries or one 12-ounce package frozen raspberries, thawed (1 1/2 cups)
5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 to 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (255g) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 18 x 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Combine the chocolate and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until just combined. Add the flours and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Spoon evenly among the lined muffin pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Once the cupcakes are cooled and your curd is made, cut a hole out of the centre of the cupcakes reserving the cake you cut out), fill with curd and cover back up with the top of the cake hole (did that even make sense? Google cupcake core method for better instructions!)
Make buttercream icing by combining butter with icing sugar and then add in as much curd as you desire to get your preferred consistency and flavour. ice the cupcakes.