I have to talk about this cake for a minute. I made it for the home wedding for Bens sister and it was a huge hit. The recipe has had to be sent out to people who liked it that much. Sadly, I did not get an inside picture as it was cut up and distributed before I could, but I was so impressed with how it turned out! It looked like a proper cake – the layers were even, the icing held up really well and the lemon curd in the middle.
I will post the original recipe and then note my variations.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 250g butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup lemon butter (I made lemon curd instead)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
Fluffy frosting (I made coconut swiss meringue buttercream instead.)
- 2 eggwhites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place butter, lemon rind, vanilla and sugar in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add half the flour. Stir to combine. Add half the milk. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make Fluffy frosting: Place eggwhites, sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Using an electric mixer, beat mixture for 8 to 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Remove bowl from heat. Beat for 5 minutes or until cool. (I made swiss meringue buttercream flavoured with coconut essence. It holds up a lot better. Try this recipe.)
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half crossways. Place base on a plate. Spread lemon butter (or lemon curd) over base. Spread 1 cup frosting over lemon layer (I omitted this). Sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut. Sandwich together with cake top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake. Sprinkle 1/4 cup coconut over top of cake. Press remaining coconut into side of cake. Serve.